If your New Year’s resolution is to be healthier in 2018, then don’t forget to visit your dentist. The health of your mouth can mirror the condition of the rest of your body. Research has shown association between gum disease and other conditions such as heart disease and diabetes. Research also shows that good oral health may actually prevent certain diseases.
The following steps can be taken to help keep your mouth and the rest of your body healthy in 2018.
- Brush for two to three minutes, at least twice a day using toothpaste containing fluoride
- Floss daily to remove plaque from places your toothbrush can’t reach
- Eat a healthy diet to provide the nutrients necessary (vitamins A and C, in particular) to prevent gum disease
- Avoid cigarettes and smokeless tobacco, which may contribute to gum disease and oral cancer
- Exercising preventive care and scheduling regular dental checkups is the best way to detect early signs of periodontal disease and cavity detection